Module 2.2 - Needs Assessment / Root Cause
The needs assessment module is designed for campus teams working with a set of problem statements to address in the coming school year's targeted improvement plan as a result of the data analysis process. Whether teams are working with new or persistent problem statements, the module will walk participants through an activity which allows them to reflect on, discuss, and adjust their targeted improvement plan as related to the root cause. Specifically, teams will conduct a root cause analysis to determine why newly identified problems are occurring and/or a root cause analysis reflection to determine why persistent problems still exist.
- TAIS 201 Module 2.2 Hard Copy (Optional)
- Facilitators Guide for Module 2.2
- Root Cause Analysis Process
- Root Cause Analysis On Track
- Root Cause Analysis Off Track
- Root Cause Analysis Reflection
- Needs Assessment Guidance Document
- Root Cause Analysis Quality Checklist
Access This Training
- E-Campus Workshop ID: SU1635520
- How to register for e-campus
- How to access the TAIS Modules in E-Campus
Resources Supporting Module 2.2
- TAIS Resources - Needs Assessment
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) and the Texas Center for District and School Support (TCDSS) have collaborated to bring you this powerful resource, dedicated to advancing improvement in education. See the following:
- Expert Voices providing a theoretical overview of engaging in needs assessment work.
- Work from the field videos, providing a look into campuses across Texas and how they are using needs assessment to strengthen continuous improvement efforts.
- Specific tools to help support needs assessment work on your campus.
- News You Can Use
- Curriculum Audit (ESC Resource Center)
A tool for formal district self-evaluation of curriculum design. The tool focuses on horizontal and vertical alignment, curriculum monitoring, needs assessment, planning and professional development, assessment and use of data, and 21st century learning skills. This tool may be used to support school efforts in Data Analysis, Needs Assessment & Root Cause Analysis, and Quarterly Planning.
- Student Engagement Assessment (ESC Resource Center)
A professional development module which allows teachers to revise a unit of instruction with strategic, targeted assessment and engages students in assessing and tracking their own learning. This professional development module may be used to support school efforts in Data Analysis and Quarterly Planning.
- BEI (Behavior Event Interview)
The process is used to capture and understand in detail how leaders perform their work in turnaround settings, for districts and campuses to identify turnaround leaders, and inform professional development opportunities. This process may be used to support school efforts in Needs assessment and Root Cause Analysis.
- POD3 - Peer Observation Data-Driven Dialogue
A two module series focused on strategies for increasing teacher capacity through classroom observations with an emphasis on self-assessment, needs assessment, and professional growth. This module series may be used to support school efforts in Data Analysis, Needs Assessment & Root Cause Analysis, and Quarterly Planning.
- Grown Locally (ESC Resource Center)
A professional development session for parent teams and school administrators and staff focused on fostering parent advocacy and support for teaching and learning. This tool may be used to support school efforts in Data Analysis, Needs Assessment & Root Cause Analysis, and Quarterly Planning.
- MAPSS (Mapping a Pathway to Student Success)
A data driven process aligned to the TAIS Framework providing school districts and campuses with a comprehensive, objective analysis of their current state to inform improvement, strengthen strategic planning efforts, and stimulate sustainable change. This tool may be used to support school efforts in Data Analysis and Quarterly Planning.